zondag 27 maart 2016

Recommendations from Karin for March 2016.

In order to bring some more variety to my blog, I have asked some of my bookish friends to tell about the books they have in the past month, and to give us a recommendation. Today’s post is made by Karin from Austria.

Karin:

This past month has once again been a lot about re-reading old favourites of mine. But I want to mention two new books that I highly recommend.

First I want to second Peggy’s recommendation of
The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata

I read Peggy’s recommendation and thought I might like this book – and boy! was I right. I enjoyed it immensely. Usually I’m not that fond of reading books that are written in the first person but this time I did. I didn’t even mind the slow pace in which this book was written. I loved how the whole story unfolded, the subtle hints throughout the book about the change of Aiden, how Vanessa came to love this self-centered man, how he came to care about her and finally adore her.

And then I want to recommend

Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop

This is the fourth book in the series about The Others. If you have not started this series don’t just jump in and start with this book because you would miss out on three other great books.

In this installment we learn more about the change that Meg, the Trailblazer, brings for the Cassandra Sangue. She knows that every new cut to her skin brings her that much closer to the final cut that will either mean her death or her descend into madness. So she tries to find new ways to bring out the prophecies without having to resort to cutting.
We see a further development in her relationship with Simon Wolfgard although this book is not centered on the two main characters as much as it used to be.

Does this mean the book is not as good as the other ones used to be? – Oh, no. If anything I think this is the best installment since the first book. We have multiple points of view, we are introduced to some of the most dangerous of Namid’s creations – the Elders.
I really enjoyed reading about some of the supporting characters of the previous books who got a more prominent role this time. I liked the Sanguinati who took a lot of responsibility in fighting against the members of the HFL.

Speaking of the Human First and Last League – this organisation reminded me of certain political movements in Europe during the first half of the 20th century which I despise.
So I found myself (more or less) cheering when Anne Bishop decided to extinguish the threat this organization posed to nature, humankind and Others alike.
There is a lot of violence in this book again (but Bishop wrote about violent actions in the past and I didn’t mind them), there are some humorous situation that had me laughing out loud.
But most of all I found myself nodding along with Bishop’s decision to let nature triumph over greedy humankind who want to destroy our world for the benfits of economy – no matter the sacrifices.

I really, really loved this book and I am already looking forward to the next installment in this series – unfortunately this is still one year away.

This is it for this month. Until we meet again next month: Happy Reading.

Karin photo Karin 2_zps9oybhsee.png

Aurian: Thanks for the recommendation Karin! I also can recommend Marked in Flesh, as I enjoyed it recently. I think it might even improve on re-reading, and I plan to do that shortly.



© 2016 Reviews by Aurian

9 opmerkingen:

  1. All the best Aurian and others - we have spring finally!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi Bridget, not much spring weather here yet, but hopefully in a few weeks in Berlin!

      Verwijderen
  2. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed 'The Wall of Winnipeg and me' too, Karin. They announced this week that Mariana Zapata will be coming to RARE16 in Edinburgh in July. I'm so happy about that!! :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Ik will read Marked in Flesh soon! I started reading, but I'm still too consumed by my Doctor Who/David Tennant craze. It's one of four books that are on the top of my TBR

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen