woensdag 28 september 2011

Allyson James – Firewalker. Warning: contains spoilers of Stormwalker

The second book in the Stormwalker series, published November 2010.

Firewalker

Janet Begay's Crossroads Hotel has attracted the supernatural ever since it opened. Witches, Changers, and a mouthy magic mirror have decided to make it their home. But a new, dark power is rising, this time inside Janet herself.
Her boyfriend Mick, a sexy dragon shapeshifter the Navajo call a Firewalker, knows what terrifying magic is threatening to overwhelm Janet and her Stormwalker powers. He watches over her, ready to fight for her, to do anything to keep her safe.
But then a mysterious corpse is found near the Crossroads Hotel - and Janet becomes Sheriff Nash Jones’s main suspect. Now Janet and Mick must uncover what really happened, and their investigation leads to the most perilous decision of their lives: Mick must choose between protecting his own people or guarding Janet, the woman he loves, from the many forces amassing against her.


This second book in the series continues a few months after the first one ended.
The hotel is up and running, and Janet has some great people working for her, taking care of business.
A hot interlude with her lover Mick is interrupted when another dragon stalks into her bedroom. Colby is not really a friend of Mick’s but he is here to represent him on his trial for the dragon council. As Mick did not kill Janet as he was ordered to, and agreed to, he will be punished. The dragon council is afraid of Janet and her growing powers, now that she also has access to her Beneath powers. She has to be destroyed. And as Mick declared her his mate, she is off limits to them. But when Mick dies, she has no more protection.
Janet is furious with Mick for not telling her he is in trouble, and gets the whole story out of Colby. If she can, she will be there to help him, or to safe him. Her powers are random, but she can fight the dragons and win.
But not only the dragons want her death. Coyote also warns her, she has to stop using her Beneath powers, or he will kill her if Nick doesn’t do it himself. But Janet is not sure she can stop using her Beneath powers. They are whispering to her, telling her how powerful she is, what she can do. She is equal to the gods in her world, being the daughter of a goddess of Beneath.

So everyone is after her, watching her. But one of her hotel guests got himself murdered out in the desert, and resurrected, and she did not do it. But he cannot control his powers and is killing humans, trying to protect Janet. So who did this? And will she be able to stop Undead Jim? Even bullets or dragon fire won’t harm him. And what will happen when she does win? Will everyone be even more afraid of her?


Of course, lots and lots more action in this story, but I won’t spoil it all for you to discover. There are some fun moments with Maya, who is becoming Janet’s first girlfriend to hang with, go out with. Sexy sheriff Nash is still a stubborn pain in the ass, thinking Janet or Mick or Coyote is his murderer, ordering Janet to stay in town. And then Mick. Gorgeous stubborn Mick. He wants to protect Janet, keep her safe, but won’t tell her about the trouble she is in. Colby is at first an annoying secondary character, but at least he tells Janet what to expect from the council and the trial.
Coyote doesn’t appear that much either, but he is threatening Janet a lot. And I have to admit I really laughed at the very last scene in the book, when he got his tail burned …
The magic mirror is a great invention, and comes in really handy, even though it is obsessed with sex.

This book is filled with action, fast paced, and twists in the plot I did not see coming (okay, that last surprise I did guess a while back). Janet is a cool kick ass chick, but she also gets tired and dehydrated and dirty, and doesn’t mind being rescued by Nash or Mick, or both. She will fight for them too.

I am very curious what will happen in the next book, and will dive straight into it. I really love the main and secondary characters, and the original paranormal beings in this book. I heartily recommend this book to every urban fantasy / paranormal romance lover.

9,5 stars

6 opmerkingen:

  1. Yay, it's getting better. I do want to start this series. I just need book 1, and it sure is on my wishlist

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I do want to start this one too! Great review!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. You know the cover screams UF to me, and you know I am not into UF at all, but dragon shapeshifter, changers and witches do get my attention. And I love Allyson James writing!

    btw I love your signature

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. This is a new to me author, & I am going to have to check this series out. I love the covers-how can I resist dragons and witches?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I have this one, I just haven't started reading it yet. I love Mick and your review has gotten me pretty excited about it, so I'll have to start it this weekend.

    Thanks for the review!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. @Blodeuedd: I hope you find a copy soon!
    @Anachronist: I hope you love it as well as I do.
    @Marissa: Well, there is enough romance and smexy scenes in it as well, so I hope you will like it. Thanks :)
    @Buckeye: She has written lots of other books, but this series really appealled to me, the rest is more erotica I believe
    @Jennifer: I hope you do read it soon, and Mick sure has an important part of this book.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen